10 Things to do in McKinney, Texas
Historic McKinney, Texas is home to a beautiful downtown, plentiful arts, sips, and shopping. If you’re visiting for the first time or live in McKinney, there is always something new to experience.
Here are ten ideas of things to do/see/eat/drink when in McKinney, Texas.
1. Shop the square. Dozens of boutiques make the beautiful downtown McKinney Square an ideal shopping destination. From boutiques to antiques, art galleries to western themed stores, bring your walking shoes and make a whole afternoon of it. Downtown McKinney is a browser’s heaven, with over 120 unique stores, you’re sure to see why it’s become a destination shopping spot for truly everyone.
2. Visit Heard Natural Science Museum & Wildlife Sanctuary for an educational and fun peek into the local wildlife conservatory, trails, and more. The 289 acre space was founded in 1967 with a focus on education, conservation, and preservation. The emphasis of the museum is on children (many come for the Dinosaurs Live! Exhibit), but there’s something to be learned and appreciated at any age when visiting the Heard Museum.
3. Sip local at Tupps Brewery or Franconia Brewing Company. Craft beer aficionados can taste and tour happily while trying these McKinney local brews. Tupps gives free tours on Saturdays at 12:30pm and has live music from 1-4pm as well. Franconia’s tour is $5 and includes details on the family’s rich brewing history. Not a beer drinker? Get your wine on at Landon Winery, or shop for something special from abroad with Andy, the McKinney Wine Merchant. Swirl and sip now or save for an upcoming special occasion.
4. See the views at Adriatica Village. Adriatica is a hidden gem in McKinney, a European-inspired oasis with water views and gorgeous architecture. See the chapel, and stroll through the complex on an early evening to enjoy stunning views unlike anywhere else in DFW.
5. Catch a show at the McKinney Performing Arts Center. From local theatre performances, to relaxing jazz evenings, to national performing artists, there’s lots to enjoy at MPAC. For a more Texan, laidback experience, visit Hank’s Texas Grill on a Thursday, Friday, or Saturday night for some true Lone Star state entertainment.
6. Eat pie at Emporium Pies on the square. No details required – just do it.
7. Play a round of golf (or just hit the driving range) at WestRidge Golf Course. You might also choose to sign up for lessons with one of their Hank Haney certified golf instructors. You’ll be a pro in no time!
8. Visit the park, hike a trail, or play a round of disc golf at one of the town of McKinney’s parks and other recreational areas. The Towne Lake Disc Golf Course has 10 holes of disc golf fun, while the Dog Park at Bonnie Wenk Park has splash pads for your pup to enjoy! See an entire list of McKinney parks and choose the perfect escape for your family.
9. Feeling artistically inspired from dining at one of our McKinney restaurants? Check out the cooking class schedule at Kitchenwares On the Square to get an up close and personal cooking lesson with a local Dallas area chef. Or paint your own masterpiece with the guidance of an expert artist while enjoying the BYOB policy at Painting With a Twist.
10. Eat lunch or dinner at Butcher Board. The first true “carvery brand”, the motto at Butcher Board is “Hack it, stack it.” The restaurant features a chef-driven, meat-centric menu that is the perfect spot for busy families to dine.